A simple guide to help you choose the ideal duvet, pillows, mattress protectors and toppers.
Here is your simple guide in how to buy duvets, pillows and mattress protectors.
How to choose your duvet
Choosing your bedding can be overwhelming with so much choice on offer in a vast array of sizes and materials. If you know what size bed you have before you reach the store, this can ease any stress and help you choose.
Here is an easy guide, making sure you get the duvet right the first time:
- Single: Mattress size – 90cm x 190cm/ 30” x 75” Duvet size – 135cm x 200cm/ 53” x 79”
- Double: Mattress size – 135cm x 190cm/ 47” x 75” Duvet size – 200cm x 200cm/ 79” x 79”
- King-size: Mattress size – 150cm x 200cm/ 60” x 78” Duvet size – 225cm x 220cm/ 89” x 87”
- Super King-size: Mattress size – 180cm x 200cm/ 72” x 78” Duvet size – 260cm x 220cm/ 102” x 87”
How to choose duvet thickness
Duvets can be bought in different thicknesses known as ‘togs’. You can pick togs according to the season, so you could get a lower tog for the Summer months and a much thicker tog for the colder, Winter months. Here is a break down on the right duvet tog rating for you.
3 Tog – A super thin duvet for people who have a constantly high core temperature. Perfect for the Summer months or for those who live in hot climates.
4.5 Tog – A light duvet, ideal for use in the Summer months or warmer climates.
7 Tog – A medium thickness, this is perfect for Spring and Autumn, or particularly cold Summers.
9 Tog – Slightly warmer, this duvet can be used in the Spring and Autumn months.
10.5 Tog – Perfect for Winter and in homes with central heating.
13.5 Tog – A thinker duvet for Winter cosines in the colder months or if your home is quite cold.
Four Seasons – This duvet will cover you for all seasons.
Everything you need to know about duvet fillings
There are two main types of duvet filling you can choose from and it all depends on personal preference.
Natural – Goose or Duck Down filled duvets are plump, fluffy and luxurious. They are the softest and warmest option for duvets. They are also very lightweight.
Synthetic – Synthetic filling is the cheaper option, but it is by no means lower on quality. Some synthetic duvets are made with natural-like fibres that mimic natural features and down.
Get a smart-fill duvet for your specific needs. By using today’s technology, duvets are crafted for your convenience and made to help you sleep better. You can get:
- Anti-allergy – For those who suffer from dust, pollen or pet allergies, looking out for a duvet with an anti-allergy tag is the perfect thing for you. The enhanced cover acts as an anti-fungal and anti-dust mite barrier to create a safer, more hygienic sleeping environment.
- Breathable – Having a cotton cover on your duvet makes it breathable. This allows your body to regulate its temperature and this will result in a better night’s sleep.
- Climate control – These duvets use unique technology to regulate climate and temperature while you sleep. A special filling is used, made from wood pulp, that draws the moisture from the body, allowing you to sleep in temperature-controlled comfort and wake up feeling refreshed.
- Washable – Having duvets that are washable is so useful. Re-fresh the duvet that you sleep with every night to gain a better night’s sleep. Make sure you read the label before washing to ensure you wash it at the correct temperature.
- Weight – Think about the weight of the duvet you want. This is down to personal preference. You can have heavy, medium, light and ultra-light. Pick your favourite for the best night’s sleep.
Things to think about when buying pillows
Like duvets, pillows come in a variety of fillings that affect their firmness:
- Goose and Duck feather – These have very soft support
- Synthetic – These have a medium support
- Memory foam – Memory foam pillows offer intuitive comfort and maximum support for your head and neck. They mould to the shape of your head and maintain a rigid form, so your head will be supported.
Pillows can also come in a range of sizes to suit your needs.
- Standard size
- XL – For more luxury
- V-shape – The V-shaped pillow offers specially designed support for the contours of your body. It provides back support in a variety of positions.
- Box-edged– This type of pillow offers a more medium support compared to regular pillows because of its unique shape.
When buying pillows, depending on your needs, be aware that you can get pillows with anti-allergy, breathable, climate control and washable fabric.
Think about whether you need a mattress protector
These are essential if you’re worried about spills in bed. Mattress protectors come in all the bed sizes. They are characteristically washable, breathable and waterproof, so you can be sure your mattress is protected. You can also add pillow protectors for extra security.
Luxurious mattress toppers and enhancers
For a luxurious feel and super softness when you sleep, consider a mattress topper or enhancer. It adds that extra ‘poof’ for a deluxe night’s sleep.
Mattress toppers come in synthetic and natural materials. You can buy one for any sized bed that you have. Also look out for anti-allergy, breathable and washable protectors to make your life easier. Mattress toppers come in a variety of thickness, so try them out before you buy them.
For the little ones…
For mums and dads, buying bedding for your child is essential and something you want to get right. You need sensitive materials for your sensitive skinned children. So, make sure you get soft wool, breathable, lightweight materials that are also anti-allergy. For those messy pups, it is essential that you get washable bedding and mattress and pillow protectors to prevent them from being damaged.
At our new showrooms we provide a selection of duvets, pillows and mattress protectors for The Fine Bedding Company. Click here to browse their range.