Do your walls look like they need freshening up but you don’t want to break the bank? Not sure where to start if you were to paint the walls yourself? We have the perfect guide to help answer all of your painting prayers.
1. Ensure you check your walls over for any bumps, uneven texture and old, flaking paint.
2. If you have spotted any holes, use the filler to carefully cover them up. Once it’s dry, use the sandpaper to dry down the surface and cover it with a tiny bit of sealant. Regarding spotting any flaking bits of paint, use the scraper to scrape it off to get an even surface before sanding it down and finishing with sealant.
3. Depending on the previous finish of paint the walls had, you may need to rub the walls down with sandpaper. Using a circular motion will help to create a fresh, bare layer which the paint will stick to.
4. After your walls have been sanded down, there may be an accumulation of dust and dirt along the walls so it’s best to clean them before painting. Diluting sugar soap in a bucket of warm water will help to get rid of all the dust.
**Remember to wear your safety goggles as products such as sugar soap can be an irritant**
5. Once the walls have dried completely, cover areas such as skirting boards with your masking tape to prevent spilling bits of paint.
6. You’re ready to paint! If you’re painting over a darker colour compared to your new paint colour, it’s best to use a primer. Using a coloured primer will help to cover the dark colour. Try to ensure you’re applying an even coat to all walls. The recommended number of layers is between 1-3.
**Remember to stir the paint before painting, use the roller for larger areas of the walls and smaller brushes for the corners**
7. Make sure you leave enough time for each layer of paint to fully dry before applying a second coat. Once you’ve tested the walls to see if they’re dry, remove the masking tape and clean up!
**Use an angled paintbrush to help reach corners more effectively**
We’ve had a think on your behalf and chosen our favourite storage s...
If you're looking to upgrade your kitchen then look no further. We've found 7 of the most sought after kitchen appliances on the market tod...
Gardiner and Sons Co Ltd registered address Gardiner Haskins, 1 Straight Street, Broad Plain, Bristol, BS2 0FQ, registered in England.
Company registration number: 00039402 VAT no. GB302974367