Growing your own at home has become really popular especially in the last year where we have stayed at home a lot more. We are frequently asked how to involve children in growing your own and what is easy for them to grow. Here's a great idea for growing that is both easy to do, takes up little space and can be done on a sunny window sill.
1. Fill the container with either moist compost or slightly damp kitchen roll.
2. Spread the seeds thickly over the compost/kitchen roll. You do not need to cover the seeds with anything.
3. Put a piece of paper over the top of the container until seeds start to germinate then remove.
4. Keep compost moist without overwatering.
5. Sowing to harvest time approximately 14 days, however we found this much quicker when it was really warm.
6. Harvest the cress when it is 5cm high.
Last year in the first lockdown I grew some cress with my son Harry who was 2 at the time. Here are our results:
Day 1 - The seeds are sown.
Day 4 - The seeds have started to germinate
Day 6 - The cress is thickening up
Day 8 - Most of the cress has come through and is ready to be harvested
For all your gardening needs, visit our Cirencester Store at 68-72 Dyer Street, Cirencester.
We’ve had a think on your behalf and chosen our favourite storage s...
If you're looking to upgrade your kitchen then look no further. We've found 7 of the most sought after kitchen appliances on the market tod...
Gardiner and Sons Co Ltd registered address Gardiner Haskins, 1 Straight Street, Broad Plain, Bristol, BS2 0FQ, registered in England.
Company registration number: 00039402 VAT no. GB302974367